Systems Engineer/Data Analyst A18-008
|Benefits:||Excellent benefits from day one!|
|Employment Type:||Full Time|
Aireon is on the path to revolutionizing air traffic surveillance and aircraft tracking, as the world’s first and only company deploying a 100 percent global space-based system. This system will provide real-time aircraft monitoring spanning never before covered areas of the planet, including remote, oceanic and polar regions. Aireon’s receivers are hosted on the Iridium NEXT satellite constellation, which began launching in January 2017. The Iridium NEXT constellation consists of 66 operational satellites in a low-earth orbit and utilizes a unique cross-linked satellite architecture creating a web of coverage around the world. The Aireon system has the ability to enable a safer, more efficient and environmentally friendly aviation industry resulting in significant CO2 emission reductions. Numerous Air Navigation Service Providers have already signed on to receive Aireon’s space-based ADS-B data, including NAV CANADA, Naviair, Enav, the Irish Aviation Authority, UK NATs and more.
The Systems Engineer / Data Analyst will have a significant role in the analysis, testing, and the verification of the performance of the Aireon space-based Automatic Dependent Surveillance-Broadcast (ADS-B) air traffic surveillance system. Reporting to the Director of Systems Engineering, the Systems Engineer will be primarily involved with: Data Analysis, Modeling and Simulations, Algorithm Development, and Tool Development. In addition to these primary tasks the System Engineer may also participate in activities such as requirements development, tests at customer and vendor sites, trade studies, and evaluating applications. The Systems Engineer will be encouraged to innovate and ensure that key technical milestones are met.
This individual will also collaborate in the technical activities of Aireon development partners, including Iridium (the payload procurement manager, payload development and integration technical manager, the Hosted Payload Operations Center (HPOC) developer and operator and the host satellite services provider) and Harris (the payload supplier, the systems engineering contractor, the Aireon Processing and Distribution (APD) system provider and operator). The System Engineer will also engage with engineers from other ANSPs such as NAV CANADA, the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) and ANSPs overseas in the development, implementation and validation of the Aireon system. A key objective is to ensure the system meets the customer requirements and performance levels.
- Working with large data sets.
- Evaluating system performance and comparing to requirements.
- Diagnosis and correction of service anomalies (aka root cause analysis).
- Packaging, delivering, and presenting results to colleagues and customers.
Modeling and Simulations:
- Working with complex and comprehensive models of the Aireon system and running computer simulations of these models.
- Updating models and simulations with observed data to improve fidelity.
- Create and modify algorithms to implement new features or updates to the Aireon system design.
- Clearly document algorithms in technical packages.
- Developing tools that allow for data transformation, visualization, and investigation.
- Create applications that can be used by other groups to facilitate data analysis and investigations.
- Contribute to updates of the requirements, design, implementation, test and validation of the Aireon system and subsystems.
- Ensure the Aireon system performance meets the requirements of the customer ANSPs through traceability, requirements management, and gap analysis.
- Interaction with Aireon partners and customers such as the FAA and NAV CANADA on the technical and operational aspects of the Aireon system.
- Technical support for demonstrations.
- Technical background in modeling, analysis, and simulations
- Strong initiative with the ability to support multiple projects and activities.
- Ability to work as part of a team both internally and externally.
- Ability to function in a start-up, fast-paced entrepreneurial environment.
- Proactive communicator with strong written and verbal skills.
- Ability to travel domestically and internationally.
- US Citizen or Permanent Resident, capable of receiving a secret clearance or FAA SF85P public trust.
- Minimum of two years of experience in modeling, analysis, and simulations
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering or Computer Science.
- Intermediate or expert level skill with MATLAB is a must.
- Experience with MATLAB parallel computing toolbox.
- Experience with MATLAB mex programming is desirable.
- Additional experience with other MATLAB toolboxes (mapping, communication, etc.) is also desirable.
- Basic experience and understanding of Linux Operating Systems.
- Experience with surveillance technologies such as ADS-B and/or Mode S desired.
- Experience in working on FAA or other international Air Navigation Service Providers (ANSPs) programs desired.
- Understanding of telecommunication and network protocols is desirable.
- Experience working with binary data is desirable.
Aireon is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or status as a protected veteran. EOE of Minorities/Females/Vets/Disability and other protected categories.
This job is no longer active. Please click here to see current job listings.