Telco Manager/Network Engineer A18-005
|Benefits:||Excellent benefits from day one!|
|Employment Type:||Full Time|
Aireon is on the path to revolutionizing air traffic surveillance and aircraft tracking, as the world’s first and only company deploying a 100 percent global space-based system. This system will provide real-time aircraft monitoring spanning never before covered areas of the planet, including remote, oceanic and polar regions. Aireon’s receivers are hosted on the Iridium NEXT satellite constellation, which began launching in January 2017. The Iridium NEXT constellation consists of 66 operational satellites in a low-earth orbit and utilizes a unique cross-linked satellite architecture creating a web of coverage around the world. The Aireon system has the ability to enable a safer, more efficient and environmentally friendly aviation industry resulting in significant CO2 emission reductions. Numerous Air Navigation Service Providers have already signed on to receive Aireon’s space-based ADS-B data, including NAV CANADA, Naviair, Enav, the Irish Aviation Authority, UK NATs and more.
The Telco Manager/Network Engineer will be principally responsible for managing Aireon’s relationships with telco providers and related subcontractors to ensure that Aireon’s safety critical networks continue to meet performance and availability requirements. The Telco Manager/Network Engineer is one of the operational Tier II support subject matter experts responsible for responding to network and telco related incidents. They determine root cause and work quickly with vendors to resolve problems when they occur. The Network Engineer also collects and evaluates network performance data to identify potential systemic problems and ensure sufficient capacity to support Aireon’s operational needs. The Telco Manager/Network Engineer will use continuous performance analysis to ensure telco providers are meeting their respective SLA performance requirements to include support requirements and will identify discrepancies and opportunities for improvement to management. The Network Engineer will be the central point of contact and will work with Aireon’s Implementation and Operations team members to identify and acquire additional telco connections.
Communication and adeptness at working with a variety of personalities and skillsets across multiple organizations, multiple time zones, managing subcontract and vendor relationships, and willingness to contribute broadly in a fast-paced, start-up environment will be a key part of this role.
- Responsible for managing telco and network engineering subcontractors to obtain quotes and procure new services
- Manages telco and network subcontractor relationships and contract performance
- Reviews and approves all telco and network subcontractor invoices
- Responsible for generating operational network budget and forecast
- Assists with configuration and maintenance of network devices like routers, firewalls, and switches from vendors like Cisco, Juniper, and Meraki
- Maintains network device baseline configuration inventory, licenses, asset data, and support contracts
- Provides operational Tier II support for analyzing and resolving telco and other network issues
- Implements workflows, knowledge base, asset and configuration repositories, and procedures in Atlassian JIRA Service Desk, Confluence, Insight, and SharePoint
- Develops/refines Tier I support procedures for responding to network outages and telco provider escalation procedures
- Supports system level testing for network resilience, redundancy, continuity of operations
- Performs audits of network system diversity and demonstrated performance including availability
- Collects and evaluates performance data to identify trends, potential problems, and capacity issues
- Ensures efficient delivery of networking capabilities using best practices, industry standards and repeatable processes
- Demonstrated experience and knowledge of telco networking including MPLS, VPNs, Internet protocols, routing protocols, and network security
- Hands-on experience monitoring and evaluating network performance data
- Familiarity with network monitoring and configuration capture tools
- Experience working directly with telco providers and technically managing subcontractors
- Experience with help desk and ticketing systems
- Working understanding of network security, firewall configuration, and operating system network configuration
- Ability to handle multiple simultaneous assignments and manage multiple vendors
- Ability to quickly learn and apply Aireon’s safety culture
- Demonstrated initiative and detail-orientation to ensure accurate capture of incident characteristics and quick resolution of issues for continuing successful operations
- Ability to work as part of a team comprised of internal and external resources located in multiple geo-graphic locations and time-zones
- Ability and motivation to work in a fast-paced, start-up entrepreneurial environment
- Ability to take on additional roles related to technical system development, testing, and operations to fill resource gaps as needed
- Proactive communicator with strong written and verbal skills
- US Citizen or U.S. permanent resident
- 4-year computer science or engineering college degree
- 5 years of professional network engineering experience
- Network professional certifications a plus
- Ability to obtain Position of Trust clearance
Aireon is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or status as a protected veteran. EOE of Minorities/Females/Vets/Disability and other protected categories.
This job is no longer active. Please click here to see current job listings.