System Administrator - UNIX (long-term contract)C18-002
|Department:||210 - Information Technology|
Iridium is the only truly global voice and data satellite communications network that connects people, organizations, assets, government and relief agencies with “on-the-move” availability. Together with its ecosystem of partners, Iridium delivers essential, reliable communications with an easy-to-integrate platform and service for improved efficiency. With more than 20 years of experience, Iridium will soon be launching the next-generation of connectivity, Iridium CertusSM - the most versatile global broadband service with improved speeds to satisfy the critical need to send and receive communications when traveling by land, sea or air. For more information about Iridium products, services and partner solutions, visit www.iridium.com.
This position is responsible for the administration and maintenance of the Iridium environments running UNIX and Linux Server OS and related server applications at all corporate facilities working in cooperation with the IT Network, Systems and Database administrators to provide highly available and reliable systems to support Iridium employees and business departments.
- Responsible for providing day-to-day support and maintenance for all UNIX and Linux Servers and applications across the enterprise.
- Accountable for maintaining server and security configurations in compliance with established best practices and established baseline configurations.
- Responsible for administrating, maintaining, performance tuning and troubleshooting Linux Server OS and related enterprise applications.
- Upgrade/install Linux OS and Server software.
- Administration of Cisco UCS and VMware
- Ensure proper backup processes are in place to allow for full recovery of sites and documents.
- Service and coordinate user requests for changes and enhancements to environments.
- Maintain proper Change Control and Configuration Management processes.
- Provide daily, weekly, and monthly UNIX/Linux system checklist with historical trending reports.
- Monitor sites daily, respond to alerts, and provide on-call support.
- Provide monthly KPI metrics and trending reports.
- Work service requests and help desk tickets on a daily basis.
- Perform other duties and responsibilities as may be assigned from time to time by management.
- Demonstrated advanced skills with Linux administration, maintenance, performance tuning and troubleshooting.
- Demonstrated advanced skills in performance tuning strategies as well as disaster recovery strategies.
- Ability to take a lead role in investigating potential problems and issues raised by business users.
- Ability to work with cross functional teams to automate procedures where possible, and to promote rapid response to known issues.
- Advanced skills with shell scripting for server deployment and administration.
- Advanced skills in performance tuning strategies as well as disaster recovery strategies.
- Ability to work in conjunction with other IT groups and company departments to understand functionality, scalability, performance, security, and integration requirements for all business sites.
- Thorough understanding of the supporting application architectures and the general application functionality running in the UNIX and Linux environments.
- Thorough understanding of IT operational policies and procedures within UNIX/Linux OS discipline.
- Advanced Skills with Nagios Monitoring performance tools.
- The ability to Project Manage Linux projects to completion.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science/MIS or similar industry experience.
- 3-5 years UNIX and Linux Server OS Administration, preferable Sun Solaris and Red Hat
- Red Hat Certified RHCSA and RHCE preferred
- ITIL experience preferred.
- Experience in a telecommunications environment preferred.