Software Engineer A17-018
|Benefits:||Excellent Benefits from Day One!|
|Employment Type:||Full Time|
Aireon is on the path to revolutionizing air traffic surveillance and aircraft tracking, as the world’s first and only company deploying a 100 percent global space-based system. This system will provide real-time aircraft monitoring spanning never before covered areas of the planet, including remote, oceanic and polar regions. Aireon’s receivers are hosted on the Iridium NEXT satellite constellation, which began launching in January 2017. The Iridium NEXT constellation consists of 66 operational satellites in a low-earth orbit and utilizes a unique cross-linked satellite architecture creating a web of coverage around the world. The Aireon system has the ability to enable a safer, more efficient and environmentally friendly aviation industry resulting in significant CO2 emission reductions. Numerous Air Navigation Service Providers have already signed on to receive Aireon’s space-based ADS-B data, including NAV CANADA, Naviair, Enav, the Irish Aviation Authority, UK NATs and more.
Interested in building software for aviation? Aireon is looking for a software engineer to join our development team. We’re building a safety-critical system using 66 satellites that processes millions of messages from thousands of aircraft each day.
The Software Engineer will play a vital role in the development of Aireon’s software-intensive space-based Automatic Dependent Surveillance – Broadcast (ADS-B) air traffic surveillance system. Reporting to the Software Engineering Manager, the Software Engineer will be involved in all phases of the systems and software engineering life-cycle: Requirements, Design, Implementation and Test. The Software Engineer will be encouraged to innovate and ensure key technical milestones are met. The Software Engineer will collaborate on designing and developing software and tools for data processing, distribution, analysis, reporting, and monitoring.
Aireon subsystems are developed to meet strict latency and safety requirements, so knowledge of near-realtime systems and software optimization is a plus.
Aireon is headquartered in McLean, Virginia and conveniently located near the Tysons Metrorail station (Silver Line).
- Design and development of Aireon system software, including: utilities, data distribution, status tools, databases, and analysis tools
- Construction and analysis of system requirements and interface control documents (ICDs)
- Perform system performance analysis and simulations
- Utilize open standards and existing libraries when applicable
- Work with large data sets of structured ADS-B data
- Participate in Aireon technical meetings
- Contribute to updates of the requirements, design, implementation, test and validation of the Aireon system and subsystems
- Technical support for demonstrations
- Diagnosis and correction of service anomalies (aka root cause analysis)
- Minimum of three years of experience in software design and development
- Minimum of a Bachelor degree in Engineering or Computer Science
- Experience developing software and scripts in C, C++, Java, C# and Bash
- Experience working on projects with defined quality processes (e.g.: CMMI, IEEE/IEC 12207, RTCA DO-278A)
- Ability to work in as part of a team both internally and externally
- Ability to function in a start-up, fast-paced entrepreneurial environment
- Proactive communicator with strong written and verbal skills
- Ability to travel domestically and internationally
Aireon is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability or protected veteran status. EOE of Minorities/Females/Vets/Disability and other protected categories.
This job is no longer active. Please click here to see current job listings.