Software Engineer A17-018
|Benefits:||Excellent Benefits from Day One!|
|Employment Type:||Full Time|
In partnership with leading Air Navigation Service Providers (ANSPs) from around the world, like NAV CANADA, Italy’s Enav, the Irish Aviation Authority(IAA) and Denmark’s Naviair, as well as Iridium Communications, Aireon is set to revolutionize the global aviation industry. In 2018, Aireon will deploy a global satellite-based system capable of tracking and monitoring aircraft around the globe, in real-time. Unlike traditional air traffic monitoring and tracking systems, which are costly to deploy over large geographic regions and limited to densely populated areas, Aireon will extend coverage to oceans, mountains, remote areas and polar regions to provide real-time 100% visibility of aircraft anywhere in the world. This technology will create more direct flight paths, increase operational and fuel efficiency for airlines and improve safety for the flying public.
Interested in building software for aviation? Aireon is looking for a software engineer to join our development team. We’re building a safety-critical system using 66 satellites that processes millions of messages from thousands of aircraft each day.
The Software Engineer will play a vital role in the development of Aireon’s software-intensive space-based Automatic Dependent Surveillance – Broadcast (ADS-B) air traffic surveillance system. Reporting to the Software Engineering Manager, the Software Engineer will be involved in all phases of the systems and software engineering life-cycle: Requirements, Design, Implementation and Test. The Software Engineer will be encouraged to innovate and ensure key technical milestones are met. The Software Engineer will collaborate on designing and developing software and tools for data processing, distribution, analysis, reporting, and monitoring.
Aireon subsystems are developed to meet strict latency and safety requirements, so knowledge of near-realtime systems and software optimization is a plus.
Aireon is headquartered in McLean, Virginia and conveniently located near the Tysons Metrorail station (Silver Line).
- Design and development of Aireon system software, including: utilities, data distribution, status tools, databases, and analysis tools
- Construction and analysis of system requirements and interface control documents (ICDs)
- Perform system performance analysis and simulations
- Utilize open standards and existing libraries when applicable
- Work with large data sets of structured ADS-B data
- Participate in Aireon technical meetings
- Contribute to updates of the requirements, design, implementation, test and validation of the Aireon system and subsystems
- Technical support for demonstrations
- Diagnosis and correction of service anomalies (aka root cause analysis)
- Minimum of three years of experience in software design and development
- Minimum of a Bachelor degree in Engineering or Computer Science
- Experience developing software and scripts in C, C++, Java, C# and Bash
- Experience working on projects with defined quality processes (e.g.: CMMI, IEEE/IEC 12207, RTCA DO-278A)
- Ability to work in as part of a team both internally and externally
- Ability to function in a start-up, fast-paced entrepreneurial environment
- Proactive communicator with strong written and verbal skills
- Ability to travel domestically and internationally
Aireon is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability or protected veteran status. EOE of Minorities/Females/Vets/Disability and other protected categories.