Sustaining Electrical Engineer/Component Engineer 17-070
|Benefits:||Excellent Benefits from Day One!|
|Employment Type:||Full Time|
|Department:||800 - Product Development|
Iridium is the only truly global voice and data satellite communications network that connects people, organizations, assets, government and relief agencies with “on-the-move” availability. Together with its ecosystem of partners, Iridium delivers essential, reliable communications with an easy-to-integrate platform and service for improved efficiency. With more than 20 years of experience, Iridium will soon be launching the next-generation of connectivity, Iridium CertusSM - the most versatile global broadband service with improved speeds to satisfy the critical need to send and receive communications when traveling by land, sea or air. For more information about Iridium products, services and partner solutions, visit www.iridium.com.
Iridium Satellite, LLC’s Product Engineering group has responsibility for the design and manufacturing support of a multitude of subscriber modem terminals, and modules, that utilize the Iridium satellite network. The sustaining engineering function within the group supports Iridium satellite terminals, modules and accessories that are currently in production as well as providing assistance in transitioning new products into high volume production. The sustaining electrical engineer acts as the interface between Iridium’s engineering group and the manufacturing group including Iridium’s contract manufacturer. The primary responsibility of the sustaining electrical engineer is to assure continuous production flow of Iridium products by coordinating product modifications and testing to accommodate components that are no longer available, support the transition of new designs into high volume production and manage the configurations of all subscriber products. Additionally, the sustaining electrical engineer tracks technical issues as they arise and coordinates their resolution. Furthermore, the sustaining electrical engineer maintains end user documentation and regulatory certifications for all Iridium subscriber products.
- Act as the interface between the engineering team and manufacturing team to help transition new/improved products from development into high volume production.
- Maintain the configuration compatibility matrix of hardware and software for all products
- Coordinate product modifications to accommodate replacements for end-of-life (EoL) components
- Generate Qualification Build Orders (QBO) to instruct the contract manufacturer to manufacture modified product(s) for performance evaluation
- Generate Engineering Change Orders (ECO) to direct the contract manufacturer to build a new revision of the product(s) with input from development and manufacturing engineers.
- Coordinate verification testing of manufactured product(s) to assure product performance is met.
- Coordinate development of performance verification test plans and acceptance metrics
- Coordinate regulatory documentation of Iridium subscriber products
- Provide technical support to partners integrating Iridium’s original equipment manufacturer (OEM) modules into their equipment
- Provide technical support to Iridium’s customer care department in answering customer questions about their Iridium subscriber terminal equipment
- Investigate and resolve field issues identified
- Supply technical input for use in user documentation
- Maintain/update technical documentation of Iridium’s subscriber equipment
- Maintain database of technical issues and coordinate their resolution with engineering team
- BS in Electrical Engineering, and at least 5 years’ experience in the telecommunications field.
- Expert user of Microsoft’s Office Suite, i.e. Word, Excel and Power Point
- Familiarity with high volume manufacturing of electronic assemblies
- Familiarity with documentation of electronic assemblies, i.e. bill-of-materials, schematics, printed circuit boards and mechanical drawings.
- Familiarity with electronic components and their technical documentation
- Experience with the use of basic electronic laboratory test equipment, i.e. RF signal generators, spectrum analyzers, oscilloscopes and logic analyzers
- Experience in the configuration management of electronic assemblies
- Experience interfacing with high volume contract manufacturers and their EPM systems
- Experience interfacing with electronic component vendors and their representatives
- Experience in the use of JIRA for status and issue tracking
- Very detail oriented
- Experienced writing clear and concise technical reports
- Experience managing subcontractors
- Proficient is at least one computer programming language
Iridium is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or status as a protected veteran. EOE of Minorities/Females/Vets/Disability and other protected categories.
This job is no longer active. Please click here to see current job listings.