Senior Software Engineer A17-011
|Benefits:||Excellent Benefits on Day One!|
|Employment Type:||Full Time|
In partnership with leading Air Navigation Service Providers (ANSPs) from around the world, like NAV CANADA, Italy’s ENAV, the Irish Aviation Authority(IAA) and Denmark’s Naviair, as well as Iridium Communications, Aireon is set to revolutionize the global aviation industry. In 2018, Aireon will deploy a global satellite-based system capable of tracking and monitoring aircraft around the globe, in real-time. Unlike traditional air traffic monitoring and tracking systems, which are costly to deploy over large geographic regions and limited to densely populated areas, Aireon will extend coverage to oceans, mountains, remote areas and polar regions to provide real-time 100% visibility of aircraft anywhere in the world. This technology will create more direct flight paths, increase operational and fuel efficiency for airlines and improve safety for the flying public.
The Senior Software Engineer will play a vital role in the development of Aireon’s software-intensive space-based Automatic Dependent Surveillance – Broadcast (ADS-B) air traffic surveillance system. Reporting to the Software Engineering Manager, the Senior Software Engineer will be involved in all phases of the systems and software engineering lifecycle: Requirements, Design, Implementation and Test. The Senior Software Engineer will be encouraged to innovate and ensure key technical milestones are met.
The Senior Software Engineer will be part of the Aireon software development team and collaborate on designing and building software and tools for data processing, distribution, analysis, reporting, and monitoring.
This individual will also collaborate in the technical and development activities of Aireon development partners, including Iridium (the payload procurement manager, payload development and integration technical manager, the Hosted Payload Operations Center (HPOC) developer and operator and the host satellite services provider), Harris (the payload supplier, the systems engineering contractor, the Aireon Processing and Distribution (APD) system provider and operator). The Senior Software Engineer will also engage with engineers from other ANSPs such as NAV CANADA, the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) and ANSPs overseas in the development, implementation and validation of the Aireon system.
Aireon is headquartered in McLean, Virginia and conveniently located near the Tysons Metrorail station (Silver Line).
- Design and development of Aireon system software, utilities, and analysis software including data distribution, status tools, adaptation editors, and analysis tools
- Trade studies, application prototyping, and analysis of large data sets
- Assist Systems Engineering in the development of effective system requirements
- Assist Test Engineering in the development and dry run of test procedures
- System performance analysis and simulations
- Contribute to updates of the requirements, design, implementation, test and validation of the Aireon system and subsystems
- Interaction with Aireon partners and customers such as the FAA and NAV CANADA on the technical and operational aspects of the Aireon system
- Technical support for demonstrations
- Diagnosis and correction of service anomalies (aka root cause analysis)
- Minimum of seven years of experience in the international air traffic management and air traffic surveillance technology area
- Minimum of a Bachelor degree in Engineering or Computer Science
- Experience with surveillance technologies including ADS-B and Mode S
- Experience building high-throughput, low-latency Unix and Linux-based safety-critical software used for the separation of air traffic for international ANSPs (e.g. trackers, radar signal/data processing, air situation displays, controller working positions)
- Experience with EUROCONTROL ASTERIX
- Experience using software development tools including Git, JIRA, and Confluence
- Experience developing software and scripts in C, C++, Java, C# and Bash
- Experience with a requirements management tool such as HP ALM or DOORS
- Experience in working on FAA or other international Air Navigation Service Providers (ANSPs) programs desired
- Strong initiative with the ability to lead projects and test activities
- Ability to work in as part of a team both internally and externally
- Ability to function in a start-up, fast-paced entrepreneurial environment
- Proactive communicator with strong written and verbal skills
- Ability to travel domestically and internationally
- Analytical tool development in environments such as MATLAB, Perl, and Python
- US Citizen or Permanent Resident, capable of receiving a secret clearance or FAA SF85P public trust
Aireon is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or status as a protected veteran. EOE of Minorities/Females/Vets/Disability and other protected categories.
This job is no longer active. Please click here to see current job listings.