Database Administrator 17-003
|Benefits:||Excellent Bennefits on Day One!|
|Employment Type:||Full Time|
|Department:||210 - Information Technology|
This position is responsible for the administration and maintenance of the Iridium databases running Linux and UNIX Server OS and related server applications primarily at the Leesburg Satellite Network Operations Center (SNOC) in cooperation with the IT Network, and Systems administrators to provide highly available and reliable systems to support the Iridium Mission system and users.
Administer, Maintain, Tune and troubleshoot mongo database systems running on Redhat Linux Server OS and related administrative applications.
Upgrade/install MySQL and mongo databases running on Redhat Linux OS
Ensure proper backup processes are in place to allow for full recovery of database systems
Service and coordinate user requests for changes and enhancements to database systems
Evaluate tools and applications relevant to Mission database systems and services
Maintain proper Change Control and Configuration Management processes
Monitor systems and services daily, respond to alerts, and provide on-call 24/7/365 support
Create perl and/or shell scripts to automate tasks
Familiarity with shell scripting for database deployment and administration
Skilled in performance tuning strategies as well as disaster recovery strategies.
Provide regular metrics and reporting as directed
Other duties may be assigned by management
- Be responsible for providing day-to-day support and maintenance for all MySQL and Mongo databases running on Redhat Linux
- Be responsible for providing backup support for all Sybase database systems running on Solaris UNIX Servers across the Mission System
- Take lead in investigating potential problems and issues raised by Mission users; this includes on-call support and carrying a cell phone if required
- Monitor site events to proactively optimize system and application performance
- Work with the team to automate procedures where possible, and to promote rapid response to known issues
- Work with other teams to promote changes to production and other environments
- Be accountable for maintaining databases in compliance with established best practices and established baseline configurations
- Be accountable for proper backup and disaster recovery procedures
- Work in conjunction with other IT groups and company departments to understand functionality, scalability, performance, security, and integration requirements for all business needs
- Develop and maintain an in depth understanding of the supporting application architectures and the general application functionality running in the Linux and UNIX environments
- Perform other duties and responsibilities as may be assigned from time to time by management
- Suggest improvements and seek additional training to maintain skills necessary to execute duties
Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science/MIS or equivalent experience
Experience with MySQL and mongo database deployment and maintenance in a critical environment is highly desired
5 years or more experience with MY SQL and/or Mongo/Sybase Databases
Knowledge of Security Best Practices, Shell scripting, database Performance Tuning, Backup/Restore and Disaster Recovery Planning
Relevant Technical Certifications
Project Management Skills
Experience in an Operations type environment.
Iridium is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or status as a protected veteran. EOE of Minorities/Females/Vets/Disability and other protected categories.